Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mantua: the sinister epilogue

You may recall this post about my serene bikeride around Mantua Reservoir and the swim I had afterward in the placid lake. I just received this email from my dad:



Cami,

I just talked to a resident of Mantua. He mentioned that the Reservoir has a parasite in it that gets on you when you swim in the lake. After you get out and start to dry out the parasite burrows into your skin seeking moisture and causes swimmers itch. If you shower as soon as you get out your OK but if you don't you may itch for a bit. Did you experience any the symptoms? He says some people do and some don't. I just thought you would like to know.

Dad
Come on good folks of Mantua, let's put up a big warning sign already! Luckily we seemed to have escaped any noticable affects.

9 comments:

Laura said...

That's a very frightening-looking trematode. Perhaps you could send the good (yet not forthcoming)folks of Mantua a sketch of your proposed sign (including the ooky-spooky microbe).

David said...

Didn't I read that sign to you that said no one was allowed to swim in the water by order of the health department? You thought it was just in the area where boats were launching but why would the health department care about that? You should always listen to mother!

Karen said...

ewwww. sick.

Watauga Relief Society said...

Let's hope for no itch ... ugh!

Joe and Joanne said...

:) Love the digital artwork! Looks like 'slimer' from the Ghostbusters! That would definately make me not want to swim the lake. If I knew there was a paracite in a body of water I was about to swim in, I'd definately think twice. I suggest you make the sign for them, and insist they post it!

Frozen Cacti said...

Yea. Nice digital Slimer graphic. So, do you know what to do to get rid of it, if it does rear it's ugly head?

Cami said...

Yikes, I hadn't thought that it might be latent. I don't know what to do if I get it, but the wiki article I read about it indicated that it usually runs it's course in about an unpleasant week.

Melanie said...

I think I'm gonna throw up.

Sweeney Household said...

Yikes! That doesn't sound good. I kept waiting for the message from your dad to say, "just kidding" for some reason. (Maybe because of the cute little green guy.) No parasites, please!