Monday, October 29, 2007

Really good cake...from a mix!

I made a good discovery yesterday- I was making a cake (from a mix, of course), and realized I was out of cooking oil. But I remember reading in the Joy of Cooking that you can substitute melted butter for oil (actually it was the other way around). So I used melted butter, and the results were fantastic. The cake was sooooo much tastier than usual mix cakes: moister, more flavorful and more "held together". Just thought I'd pass on my new baking secret, since I don't have many of them.

6 comments:

Sherene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherene said...

Great tip...I think Pete needs to post his kiwi cobbler recipe too. :)

Karen said...

I like cake...

Melanie said...

I miss dessert with the Jones'!

Joe and Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia said...

I think you can substitute applesauce for oil as well in recipes to make it healthier. I'll have to look into it.