Thursday, June 18, 2009

The case of the malfunctioning washing machine

Our washing machine has been ill, presenting symptoms of long cycles, incomplete draining, suds cycles, and very damp clothes that have clearly not been properly "wrung out." After trying various home remedies (i.e. Peter checked the external drain hose for clogs and I tried using less soap and doing smaller loads), we called a doctor.

He showed up before 7am, had the problem diagnosed just from our description, and quickly started open pump surgery and removed 5 baby socks that were clogging the arteries. He was in and out in about 10 minutes, and left us with a working washer and the bill for 99 U.S.D.

Anyway, just wanted to confirm everyone's suspicions that washers do, indeed, eat socks and that appliance repair people make about as much in an hour as medical doctors.

7 comments:

Karen said...

okay. first of all. no one should show up at your house before 7 am. second of all, i knew it. washers eat socks and toilets eat cell phones. (when you have a 2 year old)

David said...

I'm glad you finally decided to call in the sock-removing expert. I just was wondering what you will do to prevent this malady in the future. Will your children be allowed to wear socks, and will they get washed? Oh, so many questions! I'm just glad you got your washer back.

Laura said...

I KNEW IT!!! I have a whole drawer of unmatched socks. And we all know that I would never misplace anything...

Cami said...

Mom- The repairman said to get a mesh bag to wash the socks in. Also, Peter watched him make the repair and feels confident he can perform the procedure if we need it again. So our children will not be involuntarily sock-less.

David said...

I am so relieved. I do like the picture of the washing machine with the sock!

Joe and Joanne said...

LOL. Cami - you make me laugh. Love this post!

Well, that explains it then: Time to check my washer hose. I am here to confirm that not only do they eat socks, but they eat them in "odd" numbers; never does an entire pair go missing...

Emily said...

excellent graphic there.