Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Movie Making

It's essay time (for you, not me). This is a bit random, but what (if any) video editing software do you use, would you recommend it, and why? I've been using the stuff that came on my computer (windows movie make), but I'm ready to move on.

10 comments:

Laura said...

written in ten minutes - what's my grade?

Laura said...

Movies have been one of the most popular forms of entertainment since high society began frowning on cannibalism; however good movies don't just appear out of nowhere. Smile- and tear-inducing clips require skilled workers, appropriate equipment, and commonly-accepted forms of currency.

In order to properly edit a movie, one must undergo proper training by attending film school, reading user manuals, or browsing the World Wide Web. Of course, studying can only get you so far.

Effective film editing requires either old-fashioned film and a pair of scissors, or fancy computing device programs that somehow magically convert sounds and pictures into series of ones and zeros. This witch-craft is not free, unfortunately.

Most software of the motion-picture-modification persuasion is available only in return for something else of value. For example, in the United States, it has become quite popular to exchange goods or services for dollar bills or coins. Unfortunately, the United States government has deemed it more important to bomb civilians in faraway lands than to cure diseases that afflict millions world-wide, so those whose income depends on grants from said government's agencies are considered "poor."

In conclusion, film editing requires skilled labor, functional computer software, and intact greenbacks. Since the NIH-funded author of this essay has a shocking lack of each of these assets, she has deemed herself quite unqualified to participate in this discussion.

David said...

I'm still trying to get past the cannibalism mentioned by "laurita". Were we voting on editing or cannibalism?

Diana said...

Only 10 minutes, huh? Unfortunately, I am with Laura, in less fancy words, as to being unqualified to answer this question. I have heard that Final Cut Pro is a good one, but it also happens to be one of the more expensive ones as well!

Diana said...

I don't know if this is more what you are looking for, but a friend of mine uses www.OneTrueMedia.com to put her videos on her blog. I don't know what it does, but there you go!

Joe and Joanne said...

Hi Cami,
Micosoft Photoshop (I believe) also has a video editing feature. As far as I'm concerned it's the best photo/editing tool on the market. But it is PRICY...I don't yet own it.

Watauga Relief Society said...

Michelle got me started on a couple of programs and the one I'm using now is Roxio Media Creator 8. There is a newer version, but allows you to load your video clips (from cam corder or camera), add narration, music and all sorts of fun features and then sends to the burner for you. The menus are nice too. Anyway, hopes this helps!

Diana said...

So, you inspired me to look more into movies, and I ended up making a slide show, but I found out what I use! I have a mac, so I use imovie, and it works pretty good, but I think you have to have a mac to have it!

Sweeney Household said...

I was interested in reading the comments since I could use some help "keepin' up" with everyone! I love the changes you made to your blog. It's been awhile since I've been perusing blogs... :)

Unknown said...

Not trying to be a brand promoter here, but I love the iMovie software on my Mac. Very user friendly and intuitive--integrates with iTunes and iPhoto so that you can easily pull in songs and photos from your library into the movies. A caveat--I've heard the '07 version is not as great as the older version that I have.

If you're going for more bells and whistles, Adobe Premiere is probably a better option for a Windows platform.