Thursday, January 17, 2008

It burns, it burns!

I had no idea a kiwi could be so vindictive. There I was eating dinner, and after enjoying one sweet succulent kiwi, I decided to dive into another. This one was not quite ripe, but I decided to suffer through it anyway, since I'd already peeled it and the dang thing was expensive.
As I ate it, I noticed a slight burning sensation at the end of my tongue. And yet, I determinedly ate more. I guess there was a pretty high acid content, because two hours later my tongue was still burning, and I had bright red raised bumps all over it. It felt like someone had sandblasted it and poured lemon juice on it. So beware: never eat underipe kiwi (NEUK), unless you too want a set of new taste buds.

8 comments:

Laura said...

This very thing happens to me at least twice a year. Kiwis can mess with your head.

Laura said...

Mess with your head, as in, they can burn you and then make you think you're crazy because all you did was eat a seemingly-innocent piece of fruit.

Diana said...

I had no idea kiwis could burn you! They are one of my favorite fruit!

Laura said...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071203181508AAwXkh1

Joe and Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

I'm very sorry about your unfortunate kiwi incident. I have been worried sick all day.

Amy said...

Kiwis actually make my tounge itch. I guess this is one more reason to boycott fruit and just go for chocolate cake ;)

Watauga Relief Society said...

Oh! That stinks! Great job, btw, on the baby shower!