Sometimes I wonder what the world is like for a 4-year-old, particularly when it comes to language. Bryn is so literal with idioms. I just told her to be a good sport about sharing with Calvin, and she said (defiantly), "I'm not a sport. People don't play with me like I'm a ball. I'm a girl."And today for some reason I started singing "Dancing in the street," and she got her wide-eyed concerned look on her face and then started laughing hysterically and said, "we don't really dance in the street," and then added a bit more seriously, "do we, mom?" Poor kid. I'll have to remember not to say "that cost me an arm and a leg," anytime soon.
6 comments:
There are some great books called "Parts," "More Parts," and "Even More Parts" by Tedd Arnold that address idioms that have to do with body parts. You might want to look into buying them or getting them at the library to help that girl out! Plus, they are hysterical even for adults.
When Thomas was little, he wanted something from my mom, who was a bit busy at the moment, so she told him, "You'll have to wait a minute, dear.", to which Thomas replied, "I'm not a deer, I'm a boy!" Kids are great, huh?!
I remember being utterly baffled when Mom called me "Muffin" and "Pumpkin" and "Munchkin."
:) Careful about "I cried my eyes out" ; "Bite your tongue" ; "I've lost my head" ; and my father's favorite: "Idol hands are the devils tools" !
I would love your cheese sauce recipe! My email address is nanafischer@hotmail.com if you want to send it that way! Thanks for the tips too!
When these cute comments happen, don't you wish we had a continual video recording? (we'd edit out the parts when we are impatient or mean as parents, but catch the funny stuff kids say!) Cute story!
Post a Comment