Saturday, December 22, 2012

Seven Sacred Pools: The Flash Flood version

We drove counterclockwise (lefty-loosy) around the island to hit a waterfall mecca called Ohe'o Gulch- commonly known as the Seven Sacred Pools.

Random waterfall dumping into the ocean
The drive itself was gorgeous. I liked it even better than the clockwise drive to Hana, but the road was much more perilous (imagine cliff-side blind hairpin turns on a one lane dirt road and you're starting to get the picture). Peter had to honk whenever we went around a corner in case there was a car coming that we couldn't see.

Ohe'o gulch was under flash flood conditions due to all the rain that day. To give you an idea, here is a picture of what it usually looks like that I pulled of the internet:

And here is how we found it:

Normally, people swim in all the pools beneath the waterfalls, but there was no swimming to be had today. But hiking was still okay, so we took went on a four miler to a 400-foot falls called Waimoku.


He thinks he's so funny

The waterfall dumps out into the ocean- I bet there are some fun currents there.
And the rain rain rain came down down down, until the trail itself became a four mile waterfall.  Luckily, we had our swimming suits on and were able to put them to use as rain gear. Our prize was stunning.

The pictures don't do justice to the scale of the waterfall, so I've included this graphic: the blue line is the 400 ft waterfall and the red rectangle is a 6 ft human.





 Other pictures from the day:
Half of the hike was through a dark bamboo forrest

Here are the tops of the bamboos

A Monkey in a Banyan Tree


Big Beautiful Orb-Weavers



The road home had more adventure: same perilous conditions plus driving into the blinding sunset.  But we were rewarded with vistas of rainbows and sea arches.


Peter was so pleased that I wanted to stop so much to take pictures.

5 comments:

Jill said...

The graph was very helpful. That place is gorgeous!

Laura said...

You look like "Come to Hawaii where all your dreams will come true" advertisement in your sundress and flowers and whispy hair. I love the pictures - I need to go to there, too.

Kimberly said...

I'm so glad you've had a wonderful time. I hope I will make it there sometime before I die!

Marsha said...

I'm pleased you stopped for so many pictures. These are beautiful.

Joe and Joanne said...

So, yeah - that picture of the rainbow and the birds is my absolute FAVORITE! It's out of this world perfect!