Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Kayaking and Sea Creatures (day 2)


"If I paddle three more strokes, my arms are going to fall off. And then the sharks will sense the fallen limbs and come have a feeding frenzy and tip my kayak, and I'll be eaten."  My thoughts, as I kayaked out toward a shipwreck over a mile away.  But despite my fears, I persevered and my arms did not fall off and I had a lovely ocean kayak/snorkel tour while Peter was busy with his conference.

Our first stop was a shipwreck.  The water is clear enough that you can see it from the surface, even though it's about 75 feet down. I dove down a dozen feet or so to catch a closer look, but our guide is an amuteur free-diver, and caught some awesome footage.

Next we paddled over to a reef and swam with many a sea creature, including: sea turtles (3- I pet one of them on the shell on accident), a manta ray (our guide was surprised to see one), an octopus which I wore as a bracelet for a while, a sea cucumber (I "squirted" it),  a spiny sea urchin-like thing that I held in my hand, and of course, fish galore.








Perhaps my favorite part of diving is that if you listen very carefully, you can hear the faint sounds of whale song under the sea.

The pictures and video were taken by the guide's camera on our trip. He then sold them to us for the price of a disposable camera.


9 comments:

Jill said...

I liked the ominous music on the last clip. It seemed appropriate because that's how I would have felt the whole time I was underwater. You guys are brave!

ellen said...

You're not in Boston anymore!

Laura said...

We all love these videos so much, and have watched them about a finity times. We want to go on the same vacation, stay in the same room, and do exactly the same things you're doing. Please take good notes for when Calvin and I go next year.

Karen said...

I can't believe you saw a Manta Ray! Amazing!!

Chandra said...

How fun for you! Too bad Peter is stuck in a conference while you get to go play.

Marsha said...

Logan seems so dreary right now, so maybe you will understand how much I needed to see these beautiful pictures. Glad you are having a wonderful time.

Marsha said...

P.S. I think I just fell in love with sea turtles.

Lynette said...

I'm thinking of applying for a mission there--under the sea, with the whales and Manta Rays! I'm thinking they all need preached to.

amydear said...

Wow, wow, wow! Those photos are AMAZING. I am in awe of the octopus. I need to go Maui or Kauai now.