Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Haleakala: The Other Side of Heaven


Haleakala (pronounced Holly Ockala) is the dormant volcanic mountain that largely created the island of Maui. At an elevation over 10,000 feet, it's quite different than the tropical paradise below. It's desolate and it's COLD!

The wind chill is the kicker. I had my Boston coat on, along with gloves and an ear-warmer, and I still wasn't warm enough at the top. But I was fine for the hike we took on the Sliding Sands trail.

The Landscape is surreal- like hiking on Mars. And it looks like the edge of the world since you can often see the ocean 10,000 feet below and are above the clouds. Completely awesome.



The endangered Silverswords look like they're straight out of a Dr. Suess book. 


Our Trail Guide seemed a little distracted by insects.





He's singing a High C because he's so cold.

We watched the sun set over the AFRL. Really it's the Eye of Sauron






I love what you do for us, Toyota!

A sliver moon


6 comments:

Laura said...

I love all the pictures. Is your tour guide single? Looks and sounds a lot like the Mt. Fuji trail.

Lynette said...

Pretty "cool" place and pictures! I love them all. Your trail guide is very handsome!

Jill said...

Beautiful...but I think I would be sitting on a beach reading a book rather than hiking if I was in Hawaii. I get it though...you have Dickey blood running through you veins. You can't help yourself!

David said...

If you wanted to hike up to 10000 feet in a desert environment and freeze to death in the meantime, you should have just stopped in Utah. You could have done your swimming in the Mountain Crest swimming pool. This Hawaii stuff is way over rated.

Marsha said...

What an amazing view. Totally worth the chill factor.

Sweeney Household said...

These pics are STUNNING.

J - E - A - L - O - U - S .