Monday, December 31, 2012

Like Riding a Bike




I took a 1-hour motorized hang gliding lesson in Hana. You know that part in ET when their bikes start flying? That was what it was like, except with Maui as a backdrop (sea arches, waterfalls, ocean, mountains, etc.), especially once we cut the  propeller and let the glider do it's thing.

10 comments:

Mike said...

Best outfit ever. Eddie Murphy really opened up the possibilities for that look with "Raw". You should get a couple of them for around the house.

Cami said...

Mike, I already own a full wardrobe of the flying suits. Better than a bathrobe.

David said...

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung My eager craft through footless halls of air... Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace Where never lark or even eagle flew -- And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

David said...

The above poem was the mascot for the Air Force flyboys. You have really torched the envy emotion with this post. Maybe I will buy one of those machines. I can tell it was top notch.

Cami said...

Dad, I mentioned to my instructor that you used to hang glide, and he thought he recognized your name (he used to hang glide in Utah around the same time you did)- his name is Armin Engbert.

Laura said...

1. Of course you did.

2. My favorite part was when you went through the clouds. Was it so, so, so, so, so awesome?

3. I was so impressed by Dad's poem.

4. I'm jealous, too.

The Greg Jones Family Blog said...

I'm jealous, but then again, I would probably have been terrified.

Armin is probably a relative of Larre Egbert, who was a wild man when it came to adventure.

Marsha said...

I love that you did not sit in a hotel during your entire vacation. Looks fun!

Melanie said...

OK, I have never seen anyone live it up in Hawaii more than you guys. Eventually when I go to Hawaii in the very distant future I want you guys to be my tour guides.

Chandra said...

In case I have never told you this, you are officially my hero!