Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Hie to Hana: Clockwise (day 8)

We drove to Hana (which is on the other side of the island) in a clockwise fashion. This drive is infamous for it's white-knuckled winding mountainside drives and waterfalls around almost every bend. The rain dampened our hikes, but it also turned every trickle into a gusher, so waterfalls were even more rampant.

Hey, that's our road!


The lava that formed the island also left behind lava tubes- we found one by the roadside and explored it with our headlamps. Later, we paid to explore the largest lava tube on the island. I liked the little one we just found a little better.
The entrance to the roadside lava tube- most people just drive right by it.

Small lave tube entrance from the inside

The other end of the small lava tube

The commercial lava tube
The town of Hana was fanastic. The coast was amazing- bluest ragingest water ever, complete with sea arches, blow holes and surf-made waterfalls. I could have watched the waves crash all day.




Peter almost did this, but we were late for another appointment.

4 comments:

David said...

You know, you can pull pictures off the internet all day and photoshop yourself into them. Your not fooling me for one second. Especially since I saw you at the Walmart here in Logan the othr day. At least I think it was you.

Laura said...

I want to go to there.

Marsha said...

What is it about waves that is so mesmerizing? I could watch them all day too.

Karen said...

I love that you guys got this vacation and I love every last one of your pictures!