Our annual soaking up in Sharon, Vermont happened this weekend. Luckily the rain was brief- I was making soup when the clouds opened, but the rain was done before the soup (I continued stirring and adding ingredients with one hand while the other held the umbrella).
The rest of the weekend was idyllic. Some highlights:
- Swimming in the pond. I took Ivy in the canoe on a frog hunt, and thanks to Jenifer's frog net, bagged a green beauty to bring back to shore. We played with the hopper for a few minutes, and released it back into the wild. New this year was the realization that the dock could detach and float to the middle. Many king of the hill wars ensued.
- The White River. Our usual swimming hole was under construction, so we found a nearby shore to launch our mighty [c]raft and run the wild class [0.]5 rapids.
- Calvin and his collections. Calvin set up a rock shop the first day after he had mined many interesting specimens from the local amphitheater. He also enjoyed the "crab leg" he found at the river, and really wanted to bring it home.
- The play. Bryn orchestrated a play down at the amphitheater. Movie will be forth-coming.
- Volleyball. Peter may not be able to use his arms for a few days.
- Frisbee. I may not be able to throw my kids around for a few days.
- Waterfall hike with Lance. Entire separate post forth-coming.
- Chess. Bryn and Calvin both learned how to play chess from Brian and spent hours playing games with various people.
- The stars. Saturday night was extra clear, and Ivy and I spent time pretending reach up, grab some stars, and eat them. I upped the ante by eating the whole sky, but then Ivy trumped me by eating outer space. Around thirty minutes later she spit them all out and giggled.
- Relaxing on many a grassy knoll, chatting with great people, blowing grass whistles, playing cards, and listening to the delighted yells of feral children getting good and dirty.
 |
| Up a creek... |
 |
| Without a paddle. But who needs a paddle?!? |
 |
| Calvin's rock museum collection |
 |
| Complimentary spa |
 |
| Bryn wants me to let everyone know that even though she is wearing a life jacket, she knows how to swim and is only wearing the jacket because I made her wear it in the river currents. |
 |
| Treasured crab leg (I think it's really part of a crayfish) |
 |
| Sunset |
 |
| Calvin takes on his primary teacher |
4 comments:
This always looks like such a fun trip. A lake in Vermont...it couldn't get any better. Glad you had fun!
Beautiful place to camp!
Looks like this year's trip was another huge success!
Cray fish, crab, what's the big difference? They both pinch, and when cooked they both taste good...
Post a Comment