Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Stuff and Nonsense

In a fit of "I hate this couch," I ripped all the covers off the cushions and threw them in the washer. They cleaned up beautifully, but now I'm in the midst of a fit of "I hate the stuffing in these cushions."

So I went to JoAnn's, put a large 6-foot piece of green foam in my cart, and waltzed up to check out thinking I was so clever, and would soon be cutting out cheap inserts. That's when the clerk informed me that the foam was 72 U.S. Dollars. A Yard. That piece of foam in my cart totaled $140.  Are you kidding me?!? Nope. I put it back and we left.

Does anyone own a foam store?

*Notice in the picture, we have a lovely sheet covering our foam inserts, and to underneath it all, the back inserts are each shoved into garbage bags. Classy.

8 comments:

ellen said...

You need a 40% off coupon!

Kimberly said...

Your dad has a store in his shed, I think!

Joe and Joanne said...

That's ridiculous! Surely you can find cheaper foam on line. My favorite fabric store on line is: http://www.fabric.com/
I don't know if they sell the foam, but they may. Hopefully it's cheaper (after shipping even)! Otherwise, go to Bob's Discount Furniture and buy an entirely new couch set for just twice the cost of the foam (and it will be brand new...).

Emily said...

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/custom-foam-rectangle.html

I've never bought anything from this website, but it seems a lot cheaper than JoAnns!

Jill said...

You need a coupon, but even with one, that's one expensive couch repair. A new couch might be in order.

SheilaO said...

Hey Cami, if you can find a good quality batting you can wrap the foam with it and secure it with a little spray adhesive. I also got a tip once from someone that worked in a upholstery shop and she said foam dries out and just needs a little moisture. They would use a spray bottle of water and spray it down. I haven't personally tried that one but the batting works great!

The Greg Jones Family Blog said...

I love the comments so far. Thanks, y'all.

Rebecca said...

We used http://www.thefoamfactory.com/ to get the shredded foam for our gigantic bean bag couch. It was the priciest part of making it, but ordering it online was the cheapest place we found. I think you can get cushions from there as well.