
As a child, my dad often led us on hikes up above Tony Grove and showed us sink holes, deep pits that dropped down to China. His father had shown him where they were and the locations are a closely guarded secret. We'd throw rocks in and listen for them to hit the bottom, and often we never heard the final clunk.
My brother Lance, climber and caver extraordinaire and the cave expert for Northern Utah's Search and Rescue, is well equipped to lead expeditions down said sink holes. And that is just what we did one fine Wednesday evening.
The sink hole we went down is named Thundershower. We rappelled down the initial pit, and wiggled our way in a hole (the first of many wigglings or birth therapy as I like to call it). After a bit of climbing, it opened up into a beautiful room decorated with all sorts of cave features (stalagmites, stalactites, flow stone, columns, and such). Then we rappelled down another pit, did some more climbing, and ended in a pool room.
The cool, dusty yet dank air smelled delicious. The water ever trickling and sometimes pouring it's way through the passages was icy cold and we were soaked through.
On the climb back out, Lance intentionally left me behind. I took a wrong turn, of course, and climbed (with difficulty) my way straight up a soggy dead end. Lance says he often does this just to show people how easy it is to get lost in caves. He's a big fat meanie dirtbag sometimes.
We used ascenders and got ourselves back out of the hole. It was great fun. And just so you know, stalactites hand tight (from the ceiling) and stalagmites might reach the ceiling.



7 comments:
Wow. What an adventure. I'm happy you both came back to tell of it! I'm always amazed at the beauty of many strange places (like caves, and under the ocean, and in children's rooms)!
I could not do this. I do NOT like being in tight spots, let alone dark, dank, and cold tight spots. So, I'm glad you shared photos, because otherwise I wouldn't get to see these particular stalactites and stalagmites.
Oh I LOVE a good cave!!! (Though, I can't say I've ever propelled down one before. I go for the "walk in" kind). ;)
Glad you made it out safe after the "dirtbag" abandoned you. (You crack me up).
Eeek. I love caving myself, but get super nervous when the people with whom I share good portions of DNA similarity go caving. Glad you got out safe!
And that was fun?!?
I am hyperventilating just reading this. That whole "birth therapy" just dosn't sit right with me but glad you had fun.
You're very brave Cami. I'm not sure I'd follow anyone down a sink hole, not even the Search and Rescue cave expert. (Especially if he was going to lose me down there on purpose!)
You look cool in caving clothes!
Post a Comment