Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spring break and hurty shots

Bryn had Spring Break this week. We started off pretty good with Patriots' Day fun, and went to the FP Zoo with Laura and Tim and baby A (Laura, is this how you want me to refer to Squiggles on my blog?) on Wednesday at which point it all went downhill.

Calvin fell asleep in Ivy's car seat in the stroller at the zoo, and woke up screaming about a headache and a sore throat. He also had a fever, so we called it quits.

A couple of swabs later at the doctor's office confirmed strep throat (which the rest of us have avoided thus far). Easy to cure; just take penicillin for 10 days. It's even cherry flavored.

Cherry flavoring does not help the medicine go down. Calvin tried to gag down the first dose, and eventually threw the whole thing up with his stupendous gag reflex. Imagining this scenario 20 times spurred me to call the doctor to discuss other options. He mentioned a one-time slow-release shot. Sign me up!

It turns out that it's one of the most painful shots known to man. Calvin was very brave going in, but screamed in shock, surprise, and rage when it actually happened (in his buttocks, to add insult to injury). Even the doctor felt bad and gave him 2 extra dinosaur band-aids.

Later that afternoon, Calvin said, "I was just so very very angry during that shot." And as he was falling asleep, he said again, "I can't stop thinking about that terrible hurty shot. I never want a hurty shot again."

And now for some unrelated Ivy pictures.

Ivy with her new cousin, baby A. They love each other so much.

7 comments:

Corinne said...

Sorry about the strep Jennah had it a week ago and it was no fun. I also have a medicine spitter...must be a almost four thing:)

Diana said...

Poor Calvin! I hope he never has to get a hurty shot again either! Thank heavens it wasn't a three day shot, or even a two day for that matter! Strep must be going around because Eden had it last week too! This was also our first time having strep with our kids; go figure! Ivy sure is cute, and she suddenly looks really big next to Baby A!

Jill said...

I hate hurty shots! They make me very angry as well. Two dinosaur band-aids can't possible make up for the pain of them. Sorry Cal. We hope you're feeling better soon.

David said...

I'll just take the dinosaur bandaids and forget the shots.

Unknown said...

Yuck to shots! Poor Calvin.

Unknown said...

I love this post! Calvin is so right. Shots make me angry! N had to deal with them last week.

Karen said...

Oh my gosh! I don't know how I missed this post. Eli had to have that horrible, horrible shot about a year ago when he had strep. (Before they swabbed his throat, they assured me he did not have strep b/c he was too young) Eli also did not want to take orange flavored Amoxicillin. That made him so angry. And that shot! I knew it must have been terrible when the nurse was literally straining to inject that venom into his body. Calvin, I would have been angry, too!