One of the most unglamorous parts of child care is night wakings. It's so frustrating to try to soothe a screaming baby in the wee hours of the morning when you don't even know what they want. Thankfully, they get older and learn the art of communicating.We've all been a bit under the weather lately, and Bryn got the croup for a couple of nights ("the horse," as she calls it). One night was particularly bad for her, and she woke up crying and whimpering for the 4th time at 2:30am. I went into her, and here is what she told me after I asked her what was wrong:
[amid sniffling and sobbing]Even though we were up in the middle of the night, I was grateful that she could finally (and even eloquently) spell out the details of her complaints instead of just screaming and crying.
"I'm having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad night. In the first place, I just had a bad dream. In the second place, I keep waking up. And worst of all, my face is all covered with booger juice and tears."
11 comments:
A bit articulate, I'd say!
LOL! I'd have mustered up a chuckle at that response, even at 2:30 a.m.
Cami, way to find something to be grateful for at 2:30 in the morning! I too love it when the kids can tell you what they want. Bryn obviously has no problem what so ever!
I also hate booger juice mixed with tears. I remember lots of nights just like Bryn was having so I don't blame her one bit!
And Karen, I remember lots of nights just like Cami was having! Sorry this world is full of horses, booger juice, and tears!
Booger juice...what a perfect description!
Ah, Bryn! It sounds like my allergy season-I feel her pain.
Peter told me about this and I busted out laughing. Bryn is such a joy to be around!
"And worst of all, my face is all covered with booger juice and tears."
Bryn is a crack up, the things that girl says should be in a book!
I'm struggling with night awakenings too! Bryn is incredibly well-spoken. You must be proud despite the horrible, terrible, no good sleepless nights!
Good ol' Alexander -- only he had an author create his words. I personally like Bryn's adaptations. She is amazingly cute.
Post a Comment