Friday, September 2, 2011

Tropical Storm Irene Still Packs a Mean Punch


Irene may not have been a hurricane anymore when she hit us, but she still knocked over a great big oak tree in our front yard with a giant gust of wind. Our next door neighbors were outside grilling in the front yard when they heard it start coming down toward them. They ran to the back of the house, and tree crashed down a couple of feet where they had been standing moments before.

Luckily, the tree missed hitting any people, houses, or vehicles (even though our neighbor's car was parked directly underneath where it hit). It took out our utility lines and the neighbor's fence on the other side of their yard. It also completely blocked their driveway, so Peter spent the day helping them clear out enough of it to allow cars in and out.

So we had no power (or hot water) for 5 days. We had no internet or phones for 6 days. We had potentially live power lines in our yard inches away from where the kids get in and out of the car. I showered at a local gym and Peter took cold showers here. This is what we learned:

1. The food in our fridge all went bad. I took some over to Laura, but I should have taken more, or hooked up a generator to keep things running.

2. It would have been so nice to have had a generator hooked up to our boiler- then we could have had hot water and heat (which we didn't need because it was summer, but it definitely would have been necessary if this had happened in the winter).

3. It's nice to have a burner or camp stove on hand to cook food and warm up water.

4. If a tree rips out your power lines, have someone check inside the meter socket before they restore power to the neighborhood. Cautionary tale:

Our house almost burned down (again) because the tree yanked the power lines running to our house right off their posts (think of the inside of your meter box as a car battery- there are posts and the power lines come in and brackets connect the lines to the posts). The two contacts of the live wires were touching inside the meter socket (hidden from inspection) when the power came back on, causing the contacts to explode and fuse and the power line insulation to catch on fire (3 foot flames).

The power company was already gone, but luckily our neighbor noticed it and called 911. So I came home to all manner of emergency vehicles at my house putting out the fire- not a fun surprise. And to make matter worse, since it was inside our box, NStar won't willingly foot the 1k+ electrician bill for them to come fix the damage. End rant.

12 comments:

Jill said...

Man, I've missed your internet as much as you have. Thanks for catching us up on your blog. Looks like you had a fun trip to New Hampshire..."New Hampshire?" (Sorry, I couldn't help it...I can only think about Bob when somebody says New Hampshire).

The kids looked great on their first day of school. Tell Bryn, way to be a good big sister.

Sorry about all the Irene damage. I'm glad things are back to normal, but thanks for posting about what you learned. I think we should by a generator this weekend. I've always thought we should have one.

Joe and Joanne said...

Oh my gosh Cami... Seriously, you live just up the freeway from us - you should have called - we could have provided food and a warm shower (and a lit place to sleep).

The most we got were a few fallen branches - the rest was just leaf and twig debris. So, I'm fully shocked that Irene knocked that tree down (but even more shocked that your neighbor was outside grilling in it...).

Glad you're safe and that you have a house still. Let me know if there's anything we can do to help at this point.

Lynette said...

Your life is never boring. I'm happy no one was hurt. I'm sorry and don't let that NStar not foot the bill! I'm still wondering what you'll do with that tree. You could hang a sign on it that says: Free Firewood; you cut and haul!

Chandra said...

I love Bryn's skirt! And seriously, another fire. I can't imagine the thoughts you had when you pulled up. I've been meaning to call because last Friday Madeline found out about Irene and its movement to Massachusetts and she was so concerned about your family. She kept asking me to call, and I kept meaning to. Glad you are mostly okay. Make NSTAR pay the bill!

Marsha said...

I'm so glad that no one was hurt, but having to deal with property damage still sucks.

Karen said...

I hate NStar. I hate falling oak trees at my sister's house. And I hate fires. So bad. Except when I can roast marshmallows in them.

Sorry about your week. :(

Drewmeister said...

Sorry about your week. The last part about the almost-fire was a really bad way to end a bad week. I hope things get back to normal for you soon and glad nobody was hurt.

Danielle said...

Wow Cami! Camping in your house. I hope this next hurricane doesn't cause more damage for you guys.
--Danielle

Melanie said...

That stinks.
A lot.

Lesa said...

Boy sounds like an adventure but not a fun one. Glad everyone is ok and boo on Nstar!

Laura said...

Sometimes your blog makes me look like a terrible sister (like when you drove yourself to the ER for surgery... twice...). I'd like the world to know that we offered our showers, offered to have you live with us, offered to buy you a brand-new house, etc.

Mostly... I think you're really hardcore.

Sweeney Household said...

okay, i didn't know about the fire part! holy cow.

ps. we all know that Laura is a fabulous sister! gee, may you ought to take her up on her offer for a new house. NO MORE FIRES!!!!