Friday, March 5, 2010

Memories that never fade


Grandma Lucinda grew up during the depression, and learned very early the value of being frugal and making do with what you had. She was a saver, and if something was still good, she was sure to find a use for it. Her house and storage shed were a treasure trove of the past.

She and Grandpa raised 9 children in this three-bedroom house. Eventually they turned the coal room into another bedroom, and dug a basement out from under the house to put the boys in.

The hours logged playing with these toys cannot be calculated. My grandfather made the blocks and the marble game, and I can tell you that every person in their posterity wanted to inherit them.

Grandma's player piano was the center of most family functions. It was never long before the rolls had been dug out of closets and 2 or 3 grandkids were gleefully pumping the pedals.

Grandma made a to-do list every day until the day she died. No wonder her priorities were straight.

Grandma seemed to like nothing better than a family gathering. We filled every nook and cranny of her home on holidays, but loved every second of it. And she had everything planned out, with tables and seating assignments in most rooms.
She would have liked this last gathering, and I'm sure she and grandpa were looking down with joy at all they had accomplished in this life.

Special thanks to my younger siblings, Lance and Karen, for having the foresight to preserve these images before everything was sorted through and scattered to the wind.

10 comments:

ellen said...

I love all the photos of her treasures! That green scale is very cool. And, just this week I told a friend "Life is fragile: handle with prayer" and she had never heard that saying! I was thinking about you this week. I hope you've enjoyed being with family and reminiscing.

Kimberly said...

Cami, thank you so much for posting these pictures . . . it has been hard to be so far away from you all this week! I love what you can learn about people by looking at the things in their homes. All good things, here. Love you, Grandma Dickey!

Diana said...

I too am so grateful for these pictures! I wanted to go visit the house after the funeral, but heard that things had already been starting to scatter, and I couldn't bring myself to go look at it that way! Thank you for the pictures of what I remember and wanted to see!!

s. said...

Cami,
This is a great post. I was indenial about the whole thing for the first few seconds of the news. But then I realized she will be happier now. I can imagine her cute little self just smiling down on you," oh oh I just don't know what to say thank you."

BunchesofBradys said...

What a wonderful tribute to a (so I hear) wonderful, and inspiring woman. I would've like to meet this Grandma...she sounds like what my grandma was like. I guess I'll find out someday...(it's the negative part about being the youngest grandchild on both sides).

Unknown said...

I love the treasures. You brought back memories of my own grandparents, and the marble board.

I hope you enjoyed being with your family.

Melanie said...

Hi Cami,

(This is Randy, not Mel) Thanks for sharing the memories of your grandmother...I especially enjoyed the pictures. My parents have that same photo of the Logan temple and they have that picture of the "Life is Fragile, handle with prayer" quote in their home...must be a Cache Valley thing. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman, and she truly has an amazing granddaughter. We miss the Jones'! I am sure there are openings for MIT-trained engineers in Seattle. Why don't you guys just move out there with us. You know you want to. We'll even let you have the top floor of the duplex this time.

Once again, our hearts go out to you and your family.

Chandra said...

Those pictures are such classic "grandma's house" pictures. Thanks for sharing her memory and reminding us that we can all do better and use the things we have.

SLP said...

Beautiful memories, I loved all of the photos, it took me there with you. It's so hard to loose Grandmothers...sending hugs...

Frozen Cacti said...

What a beautiful way to remember your grandmother. You'll be glad you have those photos when your children grow up and want to know more about her too.