Friday, December 27, 2013

Winter Adventure Hiking

We took a hike to the reservoir near our house to see if it was frozen over (and to stave off cabin fever).
Snow diving board- Ivy categorically refused to participate.
Stump Window photo op
We made it to the frozen reservoir. Someone had even shoveled out an ice skating rink.
drama on ice
Ivy explained to me that making a snow bat is like making a snow angel, except you don't move your legs.
Calvin found a snow shovel near the ice and set to work throwing snow in his sister's face. I mean building a pedestrian path around the rink.
Calvin's finishing touch on the path.
He also found this small tree and decided to hike all the way back with it. Some days I wonder if kids are more dogs than humans.
The undocumented highlight was that near the end, as we were enjoying a picnic of frozen granola bars on a snow-made table in the middle of the reservoir with the glow of the setting sun coming through the trees, a deer made it's way along the ridge line and we watched it's bounding silhouette until it disappeared into the forest. Winter magic.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I must invest in some better winter apparel for myself so I can go on adventures like these!

Lynette said...

Delightful adventure! As usual, beautiful pictures! Winter can be quite fun, if you are dressed for it (Kim) and have a wonderful attitude. Great job!

Jill said...

Magic is right!

Marsha said...

I love the snow angels/bats.

Laura said...

I wish I could have joined you on this adventure - so much fun and I'm totally jealous of the deer bounding.