The concept of loss struck Bryn particularly hard, as she found it hard to say goodbye to the lantern she'd so carefully crafted. Lots of sobbing and tears were involved, but she moved through the stages of grief quickly, and by this morning had accepted the fact that she would never see her lantern again.

The evening featured many cultural performances, and Bryn also graced us with several dance solos. Here's a video:
11 comments:
I'm very sorry for the loss of Bryn's lantern. It sounds similar to the distress caused when, as a child, you watch a helium balloon float higher and higher into the sky until it finally comes to rest in balloon heaven. (which is where Leslie, Z's mom, told him they went) Also, Bryn's dancing is actually really good. She's a darling.
Bryn's talents never cease to amaze me. She may have possibly been born in the wrong culture. I swear she is part Japanese.
I'm too am sorry about the lantern. It was a beauty.
What a neat event. I once attended a Japanese "festival" when I was around 11 and I LOVED it. I'm glad Bryn has recovered.
Dear Bryn,
Are you a real Japanese dancer? Your dancing is so beautiful and looks just like the dancers from Japan. You're very talented.
Love,
Aunt Laura
This story reminds me of a stick I once had. I tried to throw it across a stream but it didn't make it. My parents only got me to stop crying by telling me a story about a boy in China finding it. Maybe a nice dead girl found Bryn's lantern. You should tell her that the dead girl wants her to have it back, and is going to wait under her bed to give it to her. But remember to tell her the the dead girl is scared of adults, so she'll only come in the middle of the night when Bryn is all alone.
Karen- Bryn watched her friend Marcus' Elmo balloon float to balloon heaven and screamed at the top of her lungs on her tippy toes for about 2 hours.
Laura- Bryn says, "tell Laura 'no, I am'nt a Japanese dancer.'"
Mike- You should know that Bryn has been known to read these comments, and yours may end up on the other side of the digital trash can. Just sayin'.
(and thanks for your kind comments Jill and Kim)
Bryn, you are the most uninhibited child I have ever met. Along with that quality, you have grace and talent! Keep posting videos and pictures. It keeps the boring Utahns breathing and gives them something to live for!
Bryn is a natural! Those lanterns are beautiful floating down the river... SO COOL! What a fun evening. You guys are so fun, I just love ya!
This is Claire (Lynette's cousin in Arizona)... I am loving checking out cousin bloggs. Bryn was born about the same time as one of my granddaughters (Mandi) who passed away when she was 5 months old. Anyway, believe it not I feel like I know you all a little because of my cousin sister Lynette... Hope you don't mind if I check in once in a while. Claire
Bryn is a natural! It amazes me how perfectly little kids can pick up and immitate moves. She's cute!
Oh, I'm so sad I didn't know about this. We'll have to look out for it next year. Little J would be jealous if he knew he missed the chance to make a Japanese lantern and do a Japanese dance. For some reason, this little Bato of mine believes he is part Asian and is obsessed with Chinese/Japanese food, ninjas, culture and language...
Post a Comment