Monday, February 7, 2011

A Year without Candy and Sugared Drinks

Today is the end of a one year experiment in which I stopped eating candy and drinks with added sugar (naturally occurring fruit sugars in 100% juice were okay).

I stopped eating candy because I realized that I'm a compulsive candy eater (I see it, I eat it). And I decided to kick off drinks with added sugar just for fun. I don't even like soda all that much, so this wasn't hard.

Observations/results:

* I don't like candy as much as I thought I did. In fact, it's mostly disgusting with few exceptions. I'm going to keep avoiding it.

* I consider drinks with added sugar (especially soda) an evil in our society perpetuated by big food manufacturers, and will continue avoiding them like the plague of humanity that they are. Except chocolate milk and hot chocolate. Wow, I didn't think that one through before vowing them off. I'm going to have a frothy cold drink of chocolate milk tomorrow.

* Even chocolate, which I thought I've been missing, is really not that good. I bought a small box of Lindt chocolates tonight to celebrate the end, and was quite disappointed. So I think I'll keep eschewing chocolate unless it's really fabulous made-fresh keep-it-in-the-fridge-or-it-will-spoil to-die for chocolate.

* My teeth still get cavities. But maybe they all would have fallen out this year if not for my hiatus.

* It was very easy to avoid candy and sugared drinks once I made the goal. It's not like all sweets were off the table, which would have been a different story. Perhaps one I'll tell in a year or two when I get brave enough to try a year with (ominous duh duh duh) cookies.

10 comments:

David said...

Dad Dave: If God had not wanted us to use that stuff he would not have provided the resources to manufacture it in the first place. Same goes for beer, cigarettes, cocaine, porn, marijuana, ecstacy, lsd, hatred, war, milk and french fries. So lighten up.

Jill said...

I would not miss candy or sugary drinks (soda may possibly be the most disgusting substance on earth), but there are plenty of other 'sweet' things I would have a hard time doing without. Doughnuts come to mind.

Good job accomplishing your goal though Cami. I'm very proud of you.

Jennifer said...

Hi Cami,
Very impressive! I am addicted to sugar, and I know it is bad but I can't stop. My weakness is Mike and Ike's. But one question: did you feel better? I'm working on giving up french fries. I've been on the wagon for 4 days, which is a record.

Melanie said...

Yeah, I went off candy for over a year and found it very anti-climatic. However, I'm sure if I went off cookies I would get some good results, dramatically reduce the size of my waistline, and want to kill myself on a regular basis. I'll stick with the cookies.

Marsha said...

That's really great Cami. I'm most impressed that you set a goal and kept it. That's usually the hardest part.

If you are looking for another year-long goal, you could try this one:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/07/marathon-man-stefaan-engels-runs-365-marathons-in-a-year/

Karen said...

Seriously impressive Cam. I didn't know you were still doing this. I would have given up long ago. Unlike all these people, I think candy and soda are the bomb.com.

Joe and Joanne said...

Straight from the mouth of a major sweet-tooth (moi): I am in awe with you! Good job! I can swear off the sodas (I pretty much haven't had one in several years - take the same view as you) but to swear off candy...ooo...maybe for a month, but a year! You're amazing. CONGRATULATIONS!

BunchesofBradys said...

WOW!!! that's all i have to say.....

Sweeney Household said...

I'm with Carrie --- WOW! Yet another reason to admire you.

amydear said...

My question is -- did you lose weight? Did your health improve? I have been weaning meat and some dairy from my diet over the past few years and I've noticed that meat doesn't taste as good as it used to, but I can't imagine feeling that way about chocolate. Maybe you're eating the wrong kind? : )