Monday, January 2, 2012

Microfun

In the vein of giving gifts to others that you secretly want yourself, I gave my kids a microscope for Christmas. We broke it out tonight.

After disappointing glances at the prepared slides that came with the microscope (apple, onion, and leaves of various sorts), we forayed into the fun zone and collected hair, eyelashes, dust-bunnies, fabric, and a sequin to examine.

Calvin spotted a wee spider in the corner, which I caught (sorry spider- but this is for science), and slapped onto the stage. Then I called Bryn over, who is quite "cautious" around bugs and such, so I was nervous about her reaction.

Bryn said, "Wait, let me get this straight. You caught a live spider, smashed it onto a slide, and now we're going to look at it at 400 times it's usual size???" I nodded. She smiled and said, "Best Mom ever!"

Now I just have to figure how to get melted heart onto a slide.

p.s. the spider was awesome- think Shelob from Lord of the Rings

8 comments:

Laura said...

I'm with Bryn, naturally.

Laura said...

I'm with Bryn, naturally.

Jill said...

Cami...this is just the sort of thing I've always pictured you doing with you kids. You really are the best mom ever!

Marsha said...

What a great present. I would have loved to see the squashed spider, and the hair, and the eyelash, and the dust-bunnies...

Kimberly said...

Between Lilly and Blob stories, and now the microscope adventures, you take the cake, Cami!

Melanie said...

Awesome! I was thinking about getting one for Marcus. Where did you get yours?
Also, Randy is coming to Boston for a nerd convention in April and I'm hoping to come with him. You guys better be available and don't worry, we're staying in a hotel.

Karen said...

Brilliant. Like yourself. I remember many a day looking at random objects in Mr. McMillan's classroom!

Amy said...

Priceless!

It sounds like I need to branch out more on my kids' gifts--forget their wish list---and help them get creative (and smart while they're at it).